On February 3, more than 30 Master of Public Policy and Master of Global Affairs students at the Munk School participated in the 2023 Urban Policy Lab Case Competition. This year’s competition focused on food insecurity in Toronto. Students were asked to develop a strategy that the City of Toronto could implement to increase access to affordable, nutritious, and culturally appropriate food in underserved communities.
Each team presented to a panel of expert judges, including:
- Leslie Campbell, Policy Development Officer, City of Toronto, Poverty Reduction Strategy Office
- Atif Durrani, Manager, Economic Policy, Indigenous Affairs Ontario
- Diane Dyson, Vice President, Research & Advocacy, Toronto Daily Bread Food Bank
- Tim Li, Research Program Coordinator, PROOF University of Toronto
- Kathryn Scharf, Chief Program Officer, Community Food Centres Canada
- Garima Talwar Kapoor, Director, Policy and Research, Maytree Foundation
Congratulations to the winning team, made up of first-year students Julie-Hannah Massyn, Aakanksha Mathur, Rehan Setna, and Raafia Shahid! Thank you to the judges and all our student participants for a wonderful event!